BannerFans.com

Search This Blog

Sunday, June 27, 2010

sick and watching movies


Well I got sick, I don't know if it was from the pressure of work or my feverishly trying to promote my book, but I have a cold. So I have put everything on hold right now.


So I will have to wait to find out about the book signing till I can talk without coughing and sneezing. I will have to wait to find a venue for my book launch till I can sit for more then ten minutes and not cough and sneeze every time I speak to someone about it.


So I am sitting in my bed watching movies on HBO and Cinemax for free this weekend. I am enjoying the movies though I think I went through a whole box of Kleenex and have spent two days either in bed or the bathroom. (sigh)


I watched a movie called Marley and Me. I really enjoyed it and it reminded me of my own little furry sister Duchess. I got Duchess on my tenth birthday. I was home sick (ironic) and my Dad brought home a bundle of fur. My Mom had said no more pets because we lost three in a row for different reasons, so my Dad knocked on the front door put this adorable bundle fur in my Mom's hands and said "Here, turn her out into the snow" Knowing my Mom would never, ever do that.


My Mom smiled up at me on the stairs with the cute little puppy and said, "I guess we have a dog."


We named her Duchess, she was the sweetest best dog in the world. She loved everyone. She only barked at three people in her whole life, and with what turned out to be great taste. She traveled from New Jersey back home to California on a train. She loved it and everyone loved her. The conductors knocked on the door and asked, "Would the puppy like to go out? We're coming to a station." She would jump off the bed and wagging her tail, she understood.


Duchess was a good dog, she was loving and fun. She had her moments of mischievousness. When she was a puppy she would escape out the door between our legs and play catch me if you can. All four of us, My Mom, Dad, Brother and I would run like maniacs to catch her. The only way we could ever get her was with her puppy snacks. When she was caught she would be wagging her tail so happy it was like she was on a high. I guess maybe she had been.


We took her on vacations, everyone wanted to adopt her, of course that was never going to happen she was all ours.


When she passed away I was in college, I was so devastated I couldn't function. Luckily I had very kind professors who understood and let me take make up tests.


I still miss her. She was and is an angel in our lives. I think she is here all the time guiding all the pets we have had since, including my little knuckle head Xena.


Duchess, I know that you know how much I love you and always will.


Sherri

No comments:

Post a Comment